Friday, June 11, 2004

The Folly of Light Rail

I was very pleased when I was quoted in a recent Indy Star article in opposition to the proposed light rail nightmare. I am on record describing one's transportation as his responsibility and taking the position that it is wrong to ask others to pay for it. This was excellent, but it did not detail who would benefit and who would pay.

My letter in today's Star does this. The beneficiaries would be citizens and workers in Hamilton County- Indiana's wealthiest county. Among those paying would be some of the poorest people in Marion County.

In fact, all of the people in the Central Indiana region will be expected to pay for this, but only a tiny fraction of the people will benefit directly. I ask my liberal friends: is this fair? Is this what you want? The usual answer is 'yes', I know. This time, you're robbing the poor to pay the rich. Is this fair? Is this what you want?

If you ever wanted to understand the distinction between Republicans, Democrats, and Libertarians, here it is. Libertarians say it is unfair to rob anyone to pay anyone else, all the time. Robin Hood was a villain all of the time. The ends never justify the means. The problem is not how to redistribute wealth. The problem is redistribution of wealth.

No comments: