Thursday, July 29, 2004

Quick DNC Note

I have only caught bits and pieces of the Democratic National Convention, but was struck by the common man motif used so frequently. I understand that the Democratic party courts a constituency comprised of people often thought of as the common man- Union workers, the underclasses and the like. That's all fine, but it makes me wonder how the people who the Dems are appealing to can relate to them or take them seriously.  

John Kerry, the patrician, wealthy, career politician.
Teresa Heinz Kerry, the pampered, extremely wealthy, globetrotting heiress.
John Edwards, the wealthy, parasitic trial lawyer-turned-politician.

Interesting that Jimmy Carter was one of the early speakers. Carter had a very deep appeal to the people the Dems are still pandering to because he had the credentials. Sure, he was a highly educated man, but he was also a peanut farmer. He could relate to people who worked the land or had menial jobs. After his Presidency, Carter maintained his down-to-earth appeal by swinging a hammer for Habitat for Humanity.

The tenor strikes me as, "I don't practice what I preach, because I'm not the kind of man I'm preaching to!" and I wonder why the Dems' target constituency hasn't questioned it.

No comments: