Friday, February 24, 2006

Friday Morning Joke

I love a good government joke on a Friday morning. Here's one that's been making the rounds:

Internal Revenue Service
Department of the Treasury
Washington, DC 20001

Dear IRS...

Enclosed is my 2005 Form 1040, together with payment.

For explanation, please note the attached article from "USAToday" archives. It says that the Pentagon paid $171.50 each for hammers and that NASA paid $600.00 each for toilet seats.

Please find enclosed in this package four toilet seats (according to your valuation, worth $2,400.00) and six hammers (using the same calculation, value of$1,029.00). This is in payment of my total tax due of $3,429.00.

Out of a sense of patriotic duty, I am also enclosing a 1.5inch Phillips head screw, for which HUD duly recorded and approved a purchase value of $2200, as my contribution to the Election Fund option on Form 1040.

It has been a pleasure to pay my taxes this year, and I look forward to paying them again next year in accordance with officially established government values.

Sincerely,
Another satisfied taxpayer