Tuesday, June 01, 2004

On Home Ownership

I’m not a first-time homeowner, but man, there is nothing quite as satisfying! When Ame and I moved to Indy less than two years ago, the plan was to rent for the short term to discover which neighborhood would be right for us, save the money for the down payment, and to buy the house. We did it!

I enjoy pruning bushes when they are my bushes. I spent an hour pruning, and I really had a great time. I know that sounds weird, but my fellow homeowners know what I’m talking about. I hope that if you currently rent, you will soon thrill to washing your windows, cutting your grass, and scrubbing a toilet you own. It’s nothing remotely like fun to clean someone else’s toilet.

We are in Fishers, Indiana, which is on the southeast side of Hamilton County, or the northeast side of Indianapolis. It’s a great place to be, and has all of the things that are important to us: a friendly, well-to-do community with families; walking proximity to loads of amenities including the YMCA, walking trails, a park, interesting restaurants and shops, and the Post Office even.

I haven’t enjoyed being in my living space since I left my double in Parma, Ohio. Being there had been my greatest thrill until now, even though it wasn’t the first home I owned. That was in a run-down neighborhood in Cleveland. I was proud of my achievement of homeownership there, but had a hard time having any thought beyond, “I can’t wait until I can afford to get beyond this”.

Even that beat paying rent, though. I highly recommend home ownership.

No comments: