Sunday, April 10, 2005

Pub Crawl Wednesday

I drink very little and I've never smoked, so why I am I going on a pub crawl? Because I support the owners of bars and restaurants in Central Indiana. They have been doubly targeted by government at the state and local levels this Spring, and I want them to know that while Republicans and Democrats think targeting them is a great idea, I think it's rotten.

The pub crawl is organized by the Libertarian Party of Indiana and the Marion County affiliate. It starts at 7pm at Claude & Annie's at Pike Plaza, on Indy's NW side. From there, the pub crawlers will visit 5 or 6 other establishments. A bus will be provided.

There is already a 1% tax on bars and restaurants to support the stadium the Colts play in. Without eliminating that tax, the state legislature wants to impose a new, additional 1% on bars and restaurants.

The City-County Council in Indianapolis is pushing a smoking ban that would extend to private property- bars and restaurants. As I said, I don't smoke. Never have. But, to invoke Voltaire, I'll defend the rights of those who want to smoke, or to business owners who want to permit smoking in their private establishments.

Some may say that a vote for a Libertarian is a wasted vote. Owners of bars and restaurants now understand that for them, the only wasted vote is the one not cast on a Libertarian.

No comments: