Thursday, March 02, 2006

Harry Browne, 1933-2006

The Libertarian world lost a giant yesterday when Harry Browne passed away.

Harry Browne was the Libertarian Party's presidential candidate in 1996 and 2000. It was Browne who interested me in joining the LP in 1996, during his campaign. Hammer of Truth has an excellent obit.

I had a personal encounter with Browne, in 2002. I had the pleasure of meeting Harry at the 2002 national convention, here in Indianapolis. I was a Cleveland resident at the time, and I shared the story of how I put Harry Browne into the #2 position in my home precinct, as Geroge Bush received zero votes in that very heavily unionized precinct, carried by Al Gore. My lone vote put him in second. Harry enjoyed a good laugh at that.

Harry did a great thing when he was running in 1996, that inspired me to join. He closed his speeches by asking those who agreed with his positions to get behind the Libertarian Party, by joining, supporting candidates or becoming one, and by donating. I've done all of these things, and it is because Harry Browne asked.

This is something I have tried to remember to do when I speak- especially before non-libertarian groups. Not everyone will agree, but those who do should get involved.

Harry Browne will be missed.


Technorati tags: , ,

No comments: