Monday, August 04, 2008

Excellent Game!

Funny enough, I nearly sat out last night's hockey, due to a broken 'pinky' toe, but I decided to play anyhow, figuring I could sit out if it started bothering me enough, or that I could shy away from contact if it was suspect. Turns out it felt fine, and I had a great game, scoring a goal on a redirection, and helping put a play together to get a winning goal with 45 seconds left in the game.

It was very satsifying. I've been noticing that with regards to my exercise, I tend to allow circumstances get in the way of consistent effort. I made up my mind that I was going to do everything I could to not let an understandable circumstance interfere. A busted toe is about as good an excuse as one could find.

Here's what a redirection looks like. I get in front of the goalie to screen his vision. A teammate shoots the puck, and as it approaches, I use my stick to deflect the puck. It changes direction, leaving the goalie little chance to stop it. Redirections are my favorite goals to score, because they're very hard to pull off. You have your back to the net and the goalie when you do it.

3 comments:

Doug said...

It's so true that exercise is so easy to put on the back burner. I did that for awhile. Seems like having a fixed event works to get me motivated -- by which I mean, currently, the Akron 1/2 marathon in September which I need to train for or suffer a good deal of unpleasantness when I go into the thing untrained. Last year, it was my mountain climbing expedition.

For me, those sorts of things help to make exercise a priority.

Mike Kole said...

I agree about the fixed events. That makes my weekly hockey a great thing. At worst, I'm going to skate once a week. When I'm on the ball, I'm training for hockey in between.

Good luck in the 1/2 marathon. Why Akron? Not like you can catch Devo there anymore.

Chris Ward said...

Mike...I'm in agreement too. I play goalie in an indoor soccer league once a week, then play outdoor during the summer. Trust me, exercise is easy to skip, but when it's done, it feels great!!