Monday, January 23, 2012

Intended Chilling Effect? Rand Paul Detained by TSA

Is this how it's going to be now? Rand Paul calls TSA 'clueless' in June 2011, is detained by TSA in Nashville today.





Paul refused a pat down, so he was detained. I've never been pat down, although in the past when I flew more, I seemed always to get pulled over for additional screening. It used to be that I would fly almost anywhere. Once TSA was launched, and the extra time you have to build in to deal with TSA was added, I changed by thinking to where a 6-hour one-way drive was my cut off. Less than 6 hours I drive, more than that, I fly.

Now my cut off is more like 10 hours. The shortest flight I've taken in the past 8 years was to New York Laguardia, which would have been a 13 hour drive. When I lived in Cleveland, post-9/11, I drove that one. 8 hours. Rather than fly.

I'll be watching this story, looking for Rand Paul's comments afterwards. Does he feel he was singled out for having made statements against TSA and its procedures? This initial news report makes it seem like he took it to a stalemate in refusing the pat down. But, I would have refused it too. So, I imagine I would have been detained or turned away.

No comments: