Monday, March 05, 2012

No Jury Duty For Kole

It's funny- I think I'm one of only two people I know who would genuinely want to serve jury duty. Jury duty is a great punch line, or an irritating way to miss a few days at work to most people, but I really want to do it.

Maybe that's why I get bounced. I had a 'Notice of Jury Service' issued to me for Federal Jury Service earlier this year. I filled out the questionnaire and then did not receive the summons. I seem to go through these motions at least once a year.

I don't know what makes me an objectionable prospective juror. I have no doubt that I got bounced in the past for being the Libertarian Party's County Chair, or for being a candidate for office. This time, my guess is the rejection is thanks to my lawsuit against the Town of Fishers. Is it that the attorneys want citizens that are disengaged politically? Maybe I'm going to have to make more sports entries here.

4 comments:

Doug said...

I'm not sure there is any particular review determining whether you get a summons or not.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think when you get the notice, fill out your questionnaire and whatnot, that just gets you into a potential jury pool. Whether you get summoned to be part of any particular panel is a matter of luck.

Individualized determinations of who should and shouldn't be on a jury don't take place until your are summoned and questioned in voire dire by the judge or attorneys for the parties.

Mike Kole said...

I must be unusually 'lucky' then. I've never made it to the stage of being questioned even.

The closest I came was to be summoned once, and then the case was dismissed before I could even be questioned.

Greg Purvis said...

I have been called for jury duty a couple of times, but "attorney" as occupation is pretty much enough to get you booted. I too would love to experience this from the inside and perhaps gain valuable insight, but alas, it is not to be.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see a movie called: The 12 angry activists jury.