Anyone who has ever cast their gaze upon the Town of Fishers´Council District map has drawn one of several conclusions:
- Rand McNally had nothing to do with the design.
- The designer of the districts was drunk at the time of the drawing.
- The designer of the districts was a child trying out his first set of Crayolas.
- The districts were drawn for the purpose of political gerrymandering; specifically, to permit sitting Council members to retain seats despite the growth of the Town which would cause two or more Councilors to wind up in the same district had a sensible map been drawn.
- The districts reveal a fishy annexation, which allowed a Council member to live technically within the Town limits, while in reality being in an area that is overwhelmingly not in the Town.
As study aids for the student, I will direct you to the district map of the Town of Fishers via the County website (you will have to download a map reader program in order to view), and to an article by Tom Britt, from the AtGeist website, which has a snapshot capture of the curious annexation that includes Fishers Town Council president Scott Faultless´parcel.
In the meantime, I call upon Council President Scott Faultless to immediately resign his seat on the Council. Whether the annexation was illegal or merely unethical, the result is the same. It is disgraceful to my home Town beyond the insult that is the fact that my Town tries to forcibly annex properties against the wishes of those property owners.
It would be interesting to see the minutes of the Council meeting that approved the annexation. Did Mr. Faultless even recuse himself from the vote, or did he participate in the vote that directly affected his property. Either way, it´s slimy. If he recused himself, he acknowledged the reality of the unethical action as directly affecting him. If he voted, he disregarded the impropriety inherent in a government official voting on their own property, where they are obviously an interested party.
Those Council members who voted in support of the annexation of the Faultless property should also resign their seats immediately.
Republican Party County Chair Charlie White is a member of the Fishers Town Council.
Full disclosure: I am a resident of the Town of Fishers. I am a Libertarian candidate for Secretary of State.