Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Back Home Again

Alex & I have returned from our visits with extended family in Ohio and upstate New York. Pictures forthcoming.

We returned early so that Alex could attend his first day of high school tomorrow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this an incredibly early start to the school year? I went to Catholic schools, and we always were the early starters, beginning in the last week of August, while the public schools began on the day after Labor Day.

Rhetorically, I like to talk a lot about public schools being the warehousing of kids, but with this incredibly early start (August 16th!) and the push for full-day kindergarten here in Indiana, I don't think I'm off-base at all. Kids need the time in Summer to be free to create their own schedules, to play baseball and to swim, and to generally be creative without confining schedules.

So, Alex starts that process, and I am back in the saddle. Several invitations for candidate events have hit my mailbox, along with policy position questionaires from PACs for me to answer. Look for heavy activity now that the election season is entering the home stretch!

No comments: