Sunday, September 28, 2003

Indiana Continues to Confound a Buckeye

When I moved to Indy from Cleveland, I was immediately struck by Indiana having a significantly more fiscally conservative governor than Ohio. The rub: the late Frank O'Bannon was an Indiana Democrat, and Ohio gov. Bob Taft is a Republican.

Now, the Indianapolis mayoral race leaves me doing a double-take. GOP candidate Greg Jordan is against expanding corporate welfare and socialized football, while the incumbent, Democrat Bart Peterson favors expanding support for the Colts.

The public has weighed in mightily against an extra penny for the Colts. It's rare that I agree with the public and a GOP candidate on a corporate welfare issue, but there we are. I smile and I realize yet again that I do not miss Ohio.

No comments: